Saturday, July 31

Hometown tourist.

Last night I was talking to my bestest friend in the world on msn, and I came up with this great idea that today I was going to play tourist in my hometown and take pictures for him. I decided that it would be very interesting for him to see this, since he lives in London, and doesn't really see anything because of the smog. Amirite Adam? You know I am.

So this morning I packed my high quality camera (yes, that is irony), a bottle of water, some bread and took Dexter with me to the city, to do something that I've not really done before, walk around, without shopping in mind.


Our first stop was the bird pond, where we fed the ducks. Crazy mofos they are those birds, I think I almost started a war when I fed them, they were chasing eachother trying to get the bread pieces. If I'd known they be this hungry I would have brought a whole lot more bread! I will do that next time, since feeding the ducks was something both me and Dexter enjoyed.


I wasn't sure of where to go at first, because the only plan I really had, and the pictures I promised Adam was of the castle cannons and the ducks in the pond.

When we walked through the park, so many thoughts were running through my head, and it was there that I realised how beautiful this city really is. It has so many green areas, which invites to so many recreational activities. And it makes me wonder why I still haven't gone there just to relax and read a book, something I've had plans of doing for the last 2-3 years. I will do it, one day!



When we got up to the castle I met quite a lot of other tourists, running around taking pictures. most of them from further away than me I'm guessing, but it made me feel less awkward when I started taking pictures of everything. The cannons aiming towards the church seemed like an especially popular target for more people than me. The view from up there is quite amazing, no matter what direction you face, there is something beautiful that will catch your eye. Something that caught my eye, and always does when I'm there is the botanical garden. It looks so beautiful, and it's quite amazing that I've never been there. Yet again, it makes me wonder why I never taken the time to go explore my hometown fully. This place is loaded with history, beautiful buildings, museums, parks and of course the botanical garden.



I realise that I am a tourist in my own hometown. I know of all these places, but I've never been to experience them myself. Seeing them when you drive by, is far from the same thing as actually go there. Experience it.
It's weird. When I travel to other places I always take the opportunity to see some of the local sights, so I just don't get why I never have done it here, where I live. It is something that I want to do, something that I need to do, because it makes me feel dumb knowing that I haven't. There is so much history here and in the surrounding areas.



This got me thinking of something else. I've always had a interest in history, Swedish history in particular. It angers me how easily it's being forgotten, especially by the younger people, even by myself. It's our heritage and something we should be proud of. It's where we come from and what's gotten us to where we are today. It just pisses me off to see our country and it's people not knowing, or caring enough, to see that we do have a rich history. Something to be proud of. Instead we just let it fade away, and we've become a country without identity. A country where patriotism is considered something dirty and shameful. Something we do not speak of, in fear of being classed as political incorrect, and that is something worse than cancer.


We encourage free thinking, and praise the freedom of speech. As long as it fits the media approved frame, where words such as patriotism, proud, heritage and swedish is not allowed, unless you use them together with the word shame. Everyday there is at least something in the media that points out that you should be thankful that you are born in Sweden, but not thankful in a good way. They want you to feel guilty about it, and make you open your wallet and give to those less fortunates being born somewhere else in the world. 




Well fuck you, I say. I'm swedish and I'm proud of it, I love my country, and you can never take that away from me, no matter how many guilt trips you try to send me on. This doesn't make me a racist in any way. It just makes me genuine, real person, with a free mind and are able to use it. An ability I wish more people would have.

Oh well, there is nothing like a little bit of raging a saturday afternoon. But I think that before I start of my Mel Gibson speech about taking lives and freedom, I will open my bottle of wine now, and start sending some pictures to the lovely Adam. And to think he didn't believe it when I said we had street signs that lets cats know where it's ok to cross the road!






2 comments:

  1. Sweden is lovely and so are you!

    You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Didn`t know you had a blog :) Well written stuff, and any good piece that also includes a piccie of "kitteh crossing" has my seal of approval.
    Hugs from Kegsen!

    ReplyDelete